During menopause women have to deal with certain physical and psychological changes that can be overwhelming and cause mood swings, depression, anxiety, irritability and fatigue. Women need to keep themselves fit during menopause by adopting certain healthy habits, which are beneficial for the mind and body.
What Is Menopause?
The condition of natural cessation or stopping of a woman’s menstrual cycle is called Menopause. It’s a natural process that occurs around the age of 45 to 50 years in women.
Stages of Menopause
There are three stages of Menopause:
Perimenopause : The transitional time of 12 months from the last period to the menopause is considered as Perimenopause.
Menopause: The stage of stopping or end of a woman’s menstruation cycle (period) after the absence of menstruation for 12 consecutive months from the last period.
Postmenopause: The stage after Menopause.
The absence of menstruation for a year is considered menopause. This condition occurs when women’s hormones change and ovulation stops.
Women cannot become pregnant in the event of menopause. The eggs of the ovary release due to follicles in women. The process of menopause begins when the amount of follicles that develop every month begins to decrease. There are signs of abnormality in menstruation before menopause. Eventually, the growth of follicles stops and menstruation stops.
First of all, it is important to understand the symptoms of menopause. The first symptom during menopause is a feeling of warmth in the whole body i.e. hot flash. Besides, symptoms of dryness and pain in the vagina, sleeplessness, urinary tract infection, frequent urination, weight gain and decreased metabolism, depression, changes in hair, skin, and other tissues may also occur.
Osteoporosis disease can also occur after menopause. Due to this, the bones become weak. The risk of sudden fracture increases.
When to consult a doctor for the Treatment of Menopause?
The condition of perimenopause occurs before menopause and women should remain in contact with the doctor since then. If the woman is around 40 years of age, the menstrual period may be more or less, the blood flow may be mild or excessive, and the periods are stopped by the age of 45-51. Some women may experience menopause even before the age of 40. This is called perimenopause. However, the number of such women is only 1 percent.
How to manage the pains of Menopause?
After menopause, a woman may face some problems due to a lack of estrogen. Problems such as vaginal dryness, osteoporosis (Joint Pain), or Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) increase after menopause.
Several measures can be taken to avoid suffering during the menopause:
- Women need more Calcium in the body after menopause.
- In such a situation, supplements can be taken on the advice of a doctor.
- It is important to have a balanced diet during that process. Eat as much vegetarian and fibre-rich food as possible.
- Diet includes a variety of fruits, vegetables and whole grains, along with reducing saturated fat, oil and sugar.
- Weight gain can occur after menopause, so exercise or walk for 30 to 40 minutes daily.
- Take dairy products like milk, curd and cheese in sufficient quantity, so that the body can get calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, vitamin D and vitamin K.
- Do not eat canned food, chips etc. and also take salt in food at least.
- Stay away from any kind of smoking completely. Also, consume tea and coffee to a minimum.
- The relaxation technique is very useful for women at this age.
- Massaging regularly can be beneficial.